Canada Greener Homes Grant: What It Is and How It Can Benefit You
The Canada Greener Homes Initiative is a seven-year program launched by the Government of Canada in May 2021. Its primary goal is to help Canadians make energy-efficient upgrades to their homes, fight climate change, and create jobs in every region of the country. By participating in this program, homeowners can save money, create a more comfortable and healthier living space, and contribute to Canada’s net-zero greenhouse gas emissions target by 2050.
At B & G Heating Air Conditioning & Ventilation, we are committed to supporting this initiative by offering our expertise in HVAC services to homeowners and businesses across Canada.
Grants And Loans Available For Homeowners
The Canada Greener Homes Grant provides financial support to homeowners for eligible retrofits. Grants range from $125 to $5,000, depending on the upgrade type and the home size. In addition, homeowners can receive up to $600 as a maximum contribution toward the total costs of their pre-and post-retrofit EnerGuide evaluations. These evaluations help homeowners understand their energy consumption patterns and identify areas where energy-efficient upgrades can be made.
For those who need additional financial assistance, an interest-free loan of up to $40,000 is available, with a repayment term of 10 years. This loan can help homeowners make more significant upgrades, such as installing a renewable energy system or improving the resiliency of their homes.
Eligibility Requirements For The Canada Greener Homes Grant
To be eligible for the Canada Greener Homes Grant, homeowners must meet the following requirements:
- Homeownership: The homeowner must own the home and provide proof of ownership.
- Primary residence: The home must be the homeowner’s primary residence, and provide proof of residence.
- Age of the home: The home must be older than six months based on the first homeowner’s occupancy date.
- Eligible property types: Single and semi-detached houses, townhomes, all-season cottages, row housing, mobile homes on a permanent foundation, mixed-use buildings (residential portion only), permanently-moored floating homes, and small multi-unit residential buildings (three stories or less with a footprint of 600 m2 or less) are eligible for the program.
- Pre and post-retrofit evaluations: To be reimbursed, the homeowner must have a pre-retrofit EnerGuide evaluation and a post-retrofit EnerGuide evaluation.
Not sure if you qualify? Check your eligibility today!
What Upgrades Are Eligible For The Grant?
The Canada Greener Homes Grant provides financial incentives for the following upgrades:
- Home insulation: Upgrading insulation can improve energy efficiency by reducing heat loss in the winter and heat gain in the summer.
- Air-sealing: Sealing air leaks can reduce drafts and improve indoor air quality.
- Windows and doors: Upgrading to energy-efficient windows and doors can reduce heat loss and improve comfort.
- Thermostats: Upgrading to smart thermostats can improve energy efficiency by allowing homeowners to control the temperature of their homes remotely.
- Heating: Upgrading to energy-efficient heating systems can reduce energy bills and improve comfort.
- Renewable energy: Installing renewable energy systems such as solar panels or geothermal heat pumps can reduce energy bills and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Resiliency measures: Upgrading resiliency measures such as backup power sources or storm-resistant windows and doors can improve the home’s ability to withstand extreme weather events.
The Canada Greener Homes Grant is an innovative program that provides financial incentives to homeowners who make energy-efficient home retrofits. By reducing energy bills, improving comfort and indoor air quality, and mitigating climate change, this program provides a win-win solution for homeowners and the environment.
B & G Heating Air Conditioning & Ventilation can help homeowners take advantage of this program by providing energy assessments, installation of energy-efficient upgrades, post-retrofit evaluations, and reimbursement assistance. Contact us to learn how we can help you save money and reduce your carbon footprint.